DOMINION, WOOD WALL

DOMINION, WOOD WALL
SKU 20010
Price: US$599.00
Quantity Out of stock
Click here to be notified of price drops of this item
Click here to subscribe for 'Back-in-stock' notifications
Wood Wall phones were among the first phones that were made available to the public by the early telephone companies of the late 1900s. Most of these phones had self contained batteries to provide transmission power, and a magneto to generate the electricity required to ring the bells of the party being called. This strategy enabled telephone users to communicate with each other without the requirement for a centralised power supply. An added benefit was derived from the fact that the local batteries provided a stronger more consistent power source compared to common battery power that suffered from line attenuation in the extended line runs common in rural settings.

The manufacture of local battery phones with magneto ringing was essentially discontinued in the US during the 1940s. The rural nature of Canada, however, created an ongoing need for these phones. As a result, Northern Electric continued to manufacture local battery magneto phones until the early 1960s, and many of these phones were still in service into the 1970s.

This wood wall phone was manufactured by the Dominion Telephone Manufacturing Co Ltd. The cathedral top and exposed terminals on this phone likely date it to pre-1910, although a definite determination is difficult to make. The phone is currently wired in it's original configuration with it's original components and it will need to be upgraded before it is connected to the public telephone network.

: *
: *
: *
Type the characters you see in the picture:


*
Leich Dial Blank
US$14.95
354 - Lime Green
US$299.95

Product rating

Sign in to rate

Customer Reviews

There have been no reviews for this product.